I think I must be missing home. The whole of last week, I made many Asian dishes. Mostly stir frys and brown rice and I even experimented with Jamie Oliver's version of Gado Gado. A yummy, peanuty, spicy Indonesian salad with eggs, fried tofu, potatoes and blanched seasonal vegetables.
I love Gado Gado, this dish is super fresh, tangy and spicy! If you are bored of the usual Western green salad with vinegar, oil and salt, why not try this Indonesian salad? It is perfect for a healthy, yummy lunch or light dinner. The protein source from the egg, tofu and potatoes will surely keep you satiety. The fibre from the vegetables will also keep you full. You will end up feeling so good from eating your greens. Today I will share my version of the recipe with you, let's get to it.
I have to warn you though- the peanut dressing is so addictive, you might have seconds! :)
200 grams of organic tofu block
Handful of baby potatoes
1/2 cucumber, sliced
1/2 carrot, thinly sliced or shredded
1/2 head of a small cabbage, sliced
2 cups of mungbean sprouts
3-5 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 medium limes, juiced
1 clove of garlic
4 heap tbsp of organic peanut butter
4 tbsp of olive oil
2 tsp of brown sugar (Palm sugar works better)
2 tbsp of fish sauce
1 tbsp of tamari
1 tbsp tamarind paste
1 small Bird's eye chilli
1. Prepare baby potatoes by boiling them in hot water for 15 minutes or until fork tender
2. Dice tofu into small squares and fry in coconut oil until crispy, golden brown
3. Slice cabbage into thin strips and blanched in hot, boiling water until soft (about 5 minutes)
4. Rinse beansprouts and blanched in hot, boiling water until soft (2-3 minutes)
5. Blend the dressing ingredients well (I used my Nutribullet)
6. Arrange hard-boiled eggs, tofu and vegetables on plate and then drizzle dressing generously on top
7. Take a deep breath in and dig in! :)
I hope you enjoy my light version of this Gado Gado recipe.
Please like, share or comment below. I look forward to hear your comments.
Adapted from Jamie Oliver