I have to admit this, I have a soft spot for chorizo! I love how cooked chorizo smells and tastes. Just thinking of the sizzling fat and spice makes me happy. :)
It is kale season, and we have been buying kale every week. I adapted this soup to include kale because we had so much left over the other day. The result is that the kale gives the soup a nice texture and makes it healthier with all that added fibre.
This soup is easy to make and tastes so good on a cold, rainy day. Serve it with crusty bread or cooked quinoa. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.
Let me know in the comment section below how you like the recipe.
This recipe was adapted from BBC GoodFood
1 tbsp coconut oil 200g cooking chorizo, peeled and diced 1 large onion, chopped 3 carrots, chopped Pinch of cumin seeds 3 garlic cloves, chopped 1 tsp smoked paprika 1 tsp brown sugar 250g red lentils 2 x 400g cans organic chopped tomatoes
2 heads of kale 850ml vegetable stock
Hemp seed oil or olive oil for drizzling at the end
1. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the chorizo and cook until crisp and it has released its oils. Remove the cooked chorizo into a bowl, leaving the fat in the pan.
2. Fry the onion, carrots and cumin seeds for 10 mins until soft, then add the garlic and fry for 1 min. Sprinkle the paprika and sugar, and cook for 1 min.
3. Then stir in the lentils, and pour over the tomatoes and vegetable stock. Give it a good stir, then simmer for 30 mins or until the lentils are tender.
4. Blend 1/3 of the soup in your blender and pour it back into the pot
5. Put the cooked chorizo back into the pot
6. Stir kale into the soup and simmer for 10 mins
7. Serve the soup hot with a drizzle of hemp seed oil or olive oil