I have to admit this, I have a real soft spot for chorizo! I love how cooked chorizo smells and tastes, just thinking of the fat content and spice makes me happy. :)
It is kale season and we have been buying kale every week. I adapted this soup to include kale in it because we had so much left over the other day. The result is that the kale gives the soup a nice texture, plus it makes the soup healthier with all that added fiber.
Recipe adapted from BBC GoodFood
1 tbsp coconut oil 200g cooking chorizo, peeled and diced 1 large onion, chopped 3 carrots, chopped Pinch of cumin seeds 3 garlic cloves, chopped 1 tsp smoked paprika 1 tsp of golden caster sugar 250g red lentils 2 x 400g cans organic chopped tomatoes
2 heads of kale 850ml vegetable stock
Hemp seed oil or olive oil for drizzling at the end
1. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the chorizo and cook until crisp and it has released its oils. Remove with the cooked chorizo into a bowl, leaving the fat in the pan.
2. Fry the onion, carrots and cumin seeds for 10 mins until soft, then add the garlic and fry for 1 min. Sprinkle the paprika and sugar, cook for 1 min.
3. Then stir in the lentils, and pour over the tomatoes and vegetable stock. Give it a good stir, then simmer for 30 mins or until the lentils are tender.
4. Blend 1/3 of the soup in your blender and pour it back into the pot
5. Put in the cooked chorizo into back into the pot
6. Wash the kale and tear into bite-sized pieces and stir it into the soup and simmer for 10 mins
6. Serve the soup hot with a drizzle of hemp seed oil or olive oil